Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 21 October 2008

Abortion Vote

What a sad day for the unborn. Whilst not wishing to take away the choice for a woman to have an abortion, I do believe that 24 weeks is very late for it to happen. Our parliament has voted not to lower the age limit for abortion, and keep it as it has been since 1967 at 24 weeks.
18 years ago my sister in law gave birth to her twin girls, at 22 weeks, although they only weighed in at 1lb and 15 and a half ounces respectively, they survived. Undoubtedly they had a few problems with breathing etc., For two months one, then the other twin would be poorly.
With the advances in paediatric technology, life for premature babies is better now than it was even 40 years ago. My brother was born a month premature in 1964, and they told my mum he might not survive. He is a granddad himself now, and always has been tough as old boots.
It's not an easy decision for any woman to make, but I believe in her right to make that decision if that is her choice, and for her to be supported if she does. I would have preferred it if they had lowered the limit to 18 weeks. From experience with the twins, I have seen that babies are fully formed human beings at 22 weeks - that then is murder of a human being.
I believe, that very, very few abortions are done at 24 weeks, most are done in the very early stages.
I still feel that it is a sad day for the innocent victim here, the unborn child.

No comments: